MAXIMUM MARKS : 20
DURATION : 40 MINUTES
I Varun is a student of standard VIII. His teacher has given him an assignment based on O.Henry’s short story “ After Twenty Years.” The assignment is to find out the answers to a few questions based on the passage given below. Can you help Varun to find out the answers?
“Well, we agreed that night that we would meet here exactly twenty years from that date and time, no matter what our conditions might be or from what distance
we might have to come.We figured that in twenty years each of us ought to have our destiny worked out and our fortunes made, whatever they were going to be.”
1. Who are the two men referred to as ‘we?’
2. What was the relationship between the two men?
3. Did they have their ‘destinies’ worked out?
4. What had life made of them?
( 4x1 = 4)
II Students of Standard VIII decide to publish a masnuscript magazine.Varun wants to contribute a critical appreciation of Rabindranath Tagore’s poem “ Where the mind is without fear”,to the magazine. As he reads the last few lines of the poem, certain questions arise in his mind.Help him to find the answers of those questions. The lines and questions are given below.
Where the clear stream of reason
Has not lost its way into the
Dreary desert sand of dead habit
Where the mind is led forward
by thee into ever-widening
thought and action,
Into that heaven of freedom,
My Father,let my country awake.
5. What does the poet express in these lines?
6.Why are ‘dead habits’ compared to a ‘ dreary desert?’ Explain the
7. What is the poet’s vision when he speaks of ‘ever-widening thought
III Varun’s English teacher gives him a few sentences and asks him to find out the meaning of the underlined words in them. Help Varun to find out their meaning.The sentences are given below.
8. The driver riveted the seat belt before starting the car.
9. Ram was mesmerized by the Hindi Ghazal song rendered by
10. The mosquito dirked Veena when she slept in the afternoon.
11. Dr. Bharathan is one of the most successful surgeons in the medical
Fraternity in Ernakulam.
12. The mountaineer was caught in an intense blizzard while climbing
IV Varun has a testpaper on “ Gulliver’s Travels” tomorrow.He is studying the questions of the first chapter. He is unable to find the answer of the question given below. Provide him with the answer.
13. Mention five incidents in Gulliver’s life as he finished his studies.